My BIG 2-1!

Yesterday was my 21st birthday! Woot! ...and it was probably the best birthday DAY I remember having for a while (at least, most eventful). For my 19th birthday, I woke up at my house in Vallejo and was on Spring Break. My parents had to work and my brother was in school, and my best friends were in SoCal (they go to school there). I spent the bulk of my day running errands, renewing my driver's license (that's why I look the way I do on my current license photo), and napping until my brother and dad came home to join me for dinner. For my 20th birthday, I woke up at my (former) apartment in San Francisco, roommates were in class already... I went to class and "my boys" took me to BJ's for lunch. Both were simple, the way I usually like things to be, but that was expected. This year, though, I expected simple but got a lot more than that.

I woke up at my dorm in the "mountains" (yes, I go to school in the mountains), to find the hallways of my dorm with "Happy Birthday Trina" signs posted. I went to class, where my nursing class sang to me (the best i've ever heard a large group sing "Happy Birthday"), and made my way home to Vallejo. I had a small dinner with some friends at Matsuri in Vallejo and found that the restaurant had closed off a section for me ^_^. (Well ok, I'm not THAT special... my boss' brother owns the place.) My dinner consisted of my first "legal" beverage (yay! i got carded!), 2 s.bombs, oysters, and a lion king roll. yuum! BTW, I <3 Sushi! ^_^ After that, we headed over to my house and spent the night playing Super Smash Brothers ("Brawlin"), jammin' on the piano & uke's, and blowing out the candles on my birthday... tart. It was a Thursday night, and I had no class the next day. So I took full advantage of it! Except with my lola status, I knocked out by 2AM.


People have asked me, "So how does it feel to be 21?" Honestly, I'm excited as hell! Not because I can legally purchase and consume alcoholic beverages or gamble at casinos, but because turning 21 (for me) is leaving 20 behind and starting fresh at 21. It's me leaving behind pre-requisite courses in school and actually being in the nursing program and taking nursing classes. It's realizing that I went through a lot at 20 (not to say I did more so than others my age), but that 21 is going to bring many new and exciting experiences for me. It's me getting even closer to my parents and them treating me like an adult because they finally realize that I am one. It's me looking back at the past 20 years, at my accomplishments and my disappointments, at my moments of complete bliss, at my heartbreaks, mistakes, my losses and gains, etc... and knowing that I can take all of that, do with it what I please (whether it be me learning from them or being inspired by them) and become someone GREAT. And THAT, my friends, is what I'm excited about. Life is good... not because everything is necessarily going my way, but because not everything is. It's an ever-evolving monster, and I'm pickin' up a new weapon of choice to battle with as the stages change. And I know that's how life's supposed to be.


Check out the photos:

Birthday21



Thank you to everyone who came out to celebrate my 21st with me! Thank you to those who remembered my birthday and greeted me via phone calls, myspace, text messages, greeting cards, and word of mouth. It meant a lot to me and truly made my day! ^_^

Manong Vince, I wish you were here to "DJ" my (and Chad's) birthday party... I know you would've loved it! Miss you...


Lots of Love,
Me.

Comments

Popular Posts